It’s that time of the year that every parent equally looks forward to and dreads simultaneously. The summer holidays. 6-9 weeks of keeping children entertained, making alternative childcare arrangements or a combination of both.
It’s a challenging time for us all, and every year that they roll around they get alittle bit trickier to fill. After all, there are only so many things you can do, places you can go and so much money you can spend to keep the fun going.
So it’s important to choose wisely where you spend your time and money, why is why I’ve created this list of our top 10 things to do in London and the South this summer. Most of the places on this list are places that we’ve been to and return to every summer. Some of them are places we’ve visited once and loved, and a few are places that have been recommended to us that we plan to visit.
So whatever you’re looking for, whether its on a sunny or rainy summers day, I guarantee there’s something on this list thats worth visiting.
Summer Sun Fun Days Out
1. Catch a showing of Dumbo, Harry Potter, The Gruffalo, The Incredibles and lots more at Hampton Court Palace and Dunorlan Park in Tunbridge Wells at the Luna Kids outdoor cinema. If you prefer seeing something in town the Hidden Cinema are showing Moana as part of their pop up cinema.
2. Make the most of the beautiful weather when it’s at its best and pick your own fruit and veg at Garsons Farm. Garsons is our favourite PYO farm which you can find more about in our post on Garsons here.
3. If you’re looking for somewhere that has lots of different things to see and do Hever Castle is worth a visit. It has beautiful grounds, one of the best play areas we have ever been to and fantastic food. But if you’re feeling adventurous Groombridge Place is a great place to spend the day exploring.
4. Farms and Zoo’s make for a fantastic day out for the whole family. Our favourite is Bocketts Farm Park where you can feed the animals, take a tractor ride or watch a pig race. It also has one of the best inside play spaces we’ve ever seen at a farm with trampolines and an impressive soft play space. Whilst Port Lympne is definitely the place to go if you want to pretend you’re on safari.
In the Shade & Rainy Day Ideas
6. Kids go free at most theatres this summer, so catch a summer showing of Where is Peter Rabbit, The Gruffalo, The Worst Witch, The Twirlywoos, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Zog, Horrible Histories and Aliens Love Underpants.
7. Museums are a fantastic place to escape to on a rainy day, and nothing beats a visit to the Natural History Museum and Science Museum. If you prefer something a little smaller and different The Horniman Museum in the suburbs is worth a visit.
8. Kidzania is a place where children become mini grown ups for the day. If your little ones enjoy dressing up and role play then they’ll love the opportunity to run a mini city for the morning or afternoon. When they’re finished the whole family can enjoy lunch in Westfield shopping centre and a mooch around the shops if anyone has any energy left!
9. Trampoline Parks are always a hit. Oxygen in Purley, AirHop in Guildford and Gravity Force in Camberly have tons of trampolines, jumping platforms and foam pits to keep kids busy. Grown ups can jump too if you think your pelvic floor can handle it!
10. If you’re feeling brave Gambado soft play in Chelsea or Beckenham is lots of fun to get lost in. Just make sure you get there early to beat the crowds and noise!
I hope you’ve found something on our top 10 list of things to do in London and the South that you and your family can do or try this summer!