Making Our House A Home With GLTC

My Petit Canard GLTC Storage Bench Image

I can’t stand mess. Which bodes well when you have a baby and a three year old. Our house constantly feels messy. No sooner have I gone round and tidied everything up, has the biggest child managed to transport half of her bedroom downstairs. After three years of being a parent I realise that mess kind of comes with the territory. I know that we’ll never have the show home type look that I love whilst the children are so young, but I do think we have reached a happy medium where most things have their place.

Upsizing from a two bedroom flat to a three bedroom semi last year meant that we gained a whole lot more space. Something that we desperately needed with a growing toddler whose things seemed to acquire most of our limited storage space (who knew little people took up so much space!). For a while after moving in it felt like we had loads of space, but then it seems the normal thing to do when you get more space is to fill it up with lots more things!

So since starting maternity leave in May I set myself a project to transform our house which we renovated last year into a lovely looking shell, into a home which feels more like us, and with it make more space. First up was creating a second home office and little blogging space for myself (priorities!) which I am delighted with, and more recently I have been working on making our hallway a functional space for the whole family.

My Petit Canard GLTC Abeville Storage Bench Image 2

My Petit Canard Abeville Storage Bench Image 3

My Petit Canard GLTC Abeville Storage Bench Image 4

We have a little nook in our hallway with a huge window that lets in the most amazing light. But as a space it is pretty redundant. You can’t fit much in it, or do much with it but we knew it had the potential to be a functional space and decided to make it a lovely little reading corner with a window seat and cushion. We knew exactly the type of thing we were looking for and were delighted to discover the Abbeville storage bench at the GLTC showroom opening in Spring this year. If you havent already visited the GLTC showroom then you need to. There is nothing quite like seeing and trying furniture out for size with your very own hands and eyes. You will love it. Your children will love it. I challenge you to go there and not find something that you just have to have.

In its early days this corner of our hallway used to house our shoes which used to be strewn all over it. Now they are nicely compartmentalised in the baskets of the Abbeville. One for me, one for the Mr and one for the little lady, although we have yet to figure out what we’ll do as the little guy gets older and acquires his own little shoe collection! However, its such clever storage from GLTC who have managed to create a wonderfully functional piece of furniture for the whole family.

Above it rests the star wall shelves. Shelves that we actually bought years ago for the little lady’s old nursery in our flat and brought with us when we moved. They were actually the very first thing we bought from GLTC and were wondering how and where we could repurpose them when we realised that they would work perfectly above the storage bench. Before it used to hold cute little baby trinkets and toys. Now as well as being functional and creating additional space to hold our jackets, it has also become a fun and colourful space where we can start to show a little bit of who we are as a family with cute little plants, photos, posters and momento’s.

GLTC Star Wall Shelves

New Look Succulents

My Petit Canard GLTC Abeville Storage Bench & Star Wall Shelves

I love that these two pieces of beautiful furniture have transformed this space into something that can be used and enjoyed by the whole family. I love seeing Ella sit on the storage bench first thing in the morning putting on her shoes for school, or the husband putting on his for work. I love that its brought more order to our house, but most of all I love that it’s finally starting to feel a lot more like home..

Disclosure: we are part of the fabulous GLTC testing team and we lucky enough to receive a discount for the Abbeville Storage Bench. We have lots of fun in what we think is one of the best jobs in the world, but we also take our role and responsibility very seriously which means you will always find a fair review and honest opinion of everything we test for GLTC.

Home Etc
Cuddle Fairy
Best of Worst
Tammymum
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

1. October 5, 2016 / 5:26 pm

I’m with you on the no mess, I’v recently done something similar and bought IKEA show storage units which I’v put in my utility room! It looks great #HomeEtc

2. October 5, 2016 / 5:46 pm

What a beautiful storage space. And how gorgeous and light is your hallway? You just can’t buy that kind of light, haha.

I’ve yet to purchase anything from GLTC, but going over to have a nosey. Renee @peonieandme #bestandworst x

3. October 5, 2016 / 10:37 pm

Love the light streaming into your hallway, the bench is great for keeping everything neat, and your prints and plant pots are so cheery – a lovely space. #HomeEtc
    Molly recently posted…The Art of the Film PosterMy Profile

4. October 6, 2016 / 4:47 pm

Ohmygoodness β€” this is the exact piece of furniture I wanted for our dining room but they don’t seem to do the baskets anymore!!!! *sobs* It looks amazing Emily!!! So gutted it’s not available anymore. I’m absolutely desperate for somewhere to put our shoes!!! LOVE it!!! thanks so much for sharing chickie πŸ™‚ xx Caro #HomeEtc
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…A Halloween party & Sugar Skull Biscuits {with egg free royal icing}My Profile

5. October 7, 2016 / 3:51 pm

I’m so impressed with your progress! Such a super cute space. I made a similar sort of declaration when I went on maternity leave but mostly ended up eating biscuits and going on long walks haha Saying that I was painting out hallway right up until I went into labour so I think it’s okay πŸ˜‰
    #HomeEtc

6. October 7, 2016 / 7:25 pm

Eeek, don’t come to my 1860’s house with wobbly walls and dated features! Its definately no show room. I like that you are able to make better use of a space with this furniture that it ace. Thanks for linking up to #FamilyFun.
    Karen : TwoTinyHands recently posted…Hello, my name is Karen and I’m a blogger.My Profile

7. October 8, 2016 / 6:42 am

I love this! I’m withh you on the news and like to stow it away into nice compartments so this storage bench looks ideal. I too am in the process of prettying up our home. Although it is taking me forever! I love the colour your hallway and wish we had gone for the same. We painted ours and all up the stairs but I don’t like the colour now Oops. Anyway love this and your decorations on the self they fit perfectly. Thank you for sharing it with us at #familyfun xx
    Tammymum recently posted…#FamilyFun week 5My Profile

8. October 9, 2016 / 6:44 am

Oh wow how lovely you really have created a lovely little space here. I love the idea of a reading corner. Thanks so much for sharing at #KCACOLS hope to see you back next time!
    Kat recently posted…My Favourite Movies – #Blogtober16My Profile

9. October 9, 2016 / 8:44 am

I am so nosey, I am looking again #KCACOLS

10. October 10, 2016 / 6:11 am

That looks lovely, bright, clean colours are so uplifting! We are in a 2-bed terrace house atm but I dream of the day we get to upsize! I just went on a massive cleaning binge and made so much more space by reorganising everything, it is lovely, but doesn’t last long here! xx #marvellousmondays
    claire recently posted…Sugar Ghosts and Sugar Pumpkins Halloween RecipeMy Profile

11. October 10, 2016 / 7:14 am

Oh wow! That is a lovely little space. I could do with something like that in our hallway. I always fall in love with the furniture you have in your interior design posts! Wonderful styling πŸ™‚ #MarvMondays
    Emma recently posted…Review of the new Teletubbies magazine!My Profile

12. October 10, 2016 / 8:13 am

What a fantastic space. We don’t have a hallway, it’s literally a square of laminate flooring, that leads upstairs or into the lounge. I love how bright and airy your space is! The shelving unit looks fab too, love the little trinkets on the shelf above – especially those plant pots! Adorable. Going to have a nose at your other home and interiors posts now!

13. October 10, 2016 / 9:13 am

Aww I love the use of space, that little storage bench is so lovely and the whole area looks so bright and usable! We have been in our home for three years now and there’s still so much we haven’t done yet. I need to pull my finger out but it’s always time and money! This has motivated me though, maybe a trip to Ikea this week! #MarvMondays
    five little doves recently posted…Pregnancy & Baby loss awareness month. #captureyourgriefMy Profile

14. October 10, 2016 / 9:26 am

I’d love something like that storage bench! We have been in out house for 9 months now and I’m still trying to work out where we should put our shoes. Our hallway isn’t wide enough to have a bench unfortunately! #marvmondays
    OddHogg recently posted…Piglet – 7 Months UpdateMy Profile

15. October 10, 2016 / 9:48 am

That’s a super storage bench! It’s all about storage really with little ones, isn’t it? So. Much. Stuff. Your home is beautiful and it looks so bright.

16. October 10, 2016 / 11:57 am

I love how you have dressed that little nook! It looks cozy and a lovely place to pop shoes and coats. I am trying to work out how we can have something similar, but as our hallway is long and narrow, I can’t get my head around it. #MarvMondays
    Annette, 3 Little Buttons recently posted…Beautiful Corolle Dolly Accessories from PetalinaMy Profile

17. October 10, 2016 / 4:37 pm

What a cute bench! My husband is just like you – always cleaning up before anyone is even done with the mess they are making! I guess it’s good that one of us is “the clean one”, it sure isn’t me!

18. October 10, 2016 / 7:16 pm

Love The simplicity of this and hope you continue to love the space for a long time #marvmondays

19. October 10, 2016 / 9:22 pm

I love how beautiful and airy it all looks and what a perfecct storage bench too X #MarvMondays

20. October 10, 2016 / 9:27 pm

Stunning! We have a two bed flat and are hoping to make the move to a 3 bed next year (we now have 2 under 2 and are desperately running out of space!) We spend FOREVER in the hall trying to get shoes/coats on, so having a space like this is on my wish list. GLTC always have some amazing storage solutions don’t they? #MarvMondays

21. October 10, 2016 / 10:05 pm

I really like that bench – it’s a great idea! Will see if something like that could fit in the hallway of the house I will be moving too! #bestandworst
    Silly Mummy recently posted…Friday Frolics – 7th October 2016My Profile

22. October 11, 2016 / 12:31 pm

I need this in my life! I hate mess too but our hallway is starting to look like a jumble sale with piles of shoes, coats and hats strewn around the place! This looks so stylish and yet practical. Love the little touches on the shelves too.

Thanks for hosting #MarvMondays x
    Rhyming with Wine recently posted…Farewell to my Cleavage – A Guest Post by Words & RhymeMy Profile

23. October 11, 2016 / 7:40 pm

Looks great and very sympathetic to the need to keep on top of the mess kids produce when you live in a small place. Will check it out!

24. October 11, 2016 / 8:59 pm

This is a great idea, storage and a seat. Perfect for a hall, I would love this xx #MarvMondays

25. October 11, 2016 / 9:27 pm

I need this for when we move!! We have a constant messy pile of shoes by the door, and this would be perfect. I’m definitely going to check out their site once we are in the new place. x #marvmondays
    Ky recently posted…Time to Talk – World Mental Health DayMy Profile

26. October 11, 2016 / 10:11 pm

That bench would be PERFECT in my hallway! Your a GLTC tester – that’s the dream! I love their products. #KCACOLS

27. October 12, 2016 / 9:01 pm

I am so jealous of the lighting you have! It’s so bright and airy. Looks like a fantastic space you have and that bench is brilliant plus great for the storage. #Marvmondays

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk
    Jordanne | Thelifeofaglasgowgirl recently posted…Review | Seventeen Matt LipsticksMy Profile

28. October 12, 2016 / 9:12 pm

It is so lovely making a house into a home. I adore your little coat and shoe area. I would love something like that in my home #MarvMondays

29. October 13, 2016 / 7:59 pm

Ohh that looks lovely and may I just say how tidy your hall looks!! Fab review, thanks for linking up lovely #bestandworst
    Helen Gandy recently posted…Best and Worst Linky #69My Profile

30. October 15, 2016 / 8:51 pm

What fabulous photographs! I’m really impressed by the light and airy space you have there. I’m with you on trying to minimise clutter. We have a shoe cabinet and a sideboard with sliding doors and boxes in for hats and gloves. The only thing is, my family still keep leaving piles of shoes around! They are naughty!! #KCACOLS