24 Christmas Advent Calendar Ideas

GLTC Wooden Advent Calendar Christmas is always exciting, but this year it feels like even more magical. As I mentioned in a post a couple of weeks ago, it really feels like little lady is really starting to understand the concept of Christmas. This year she has started to talk about Christmas trees (a lot) and decorations, Christmas cards and presents, and every time we see Christmas lights somewhere her face lights up with so much excitement that my heart melts. I literally cant wait to properly start decorating the house next weekend, although a few Christmas decorations started creeping in here over the last two weeks. I just simply havent been able to help myself.

So for the first time this year we’ve decided to start a new tradition in our family with this lovely GLTC Wooden Advent Calendar. I’ve always loved the idea of having a traditional wooden advent calendar that you fill yourself, but until now it didn’t feel like something the little lady was old enough to understand and appreciate. I’ve had my eye on this particular GLTC one for the last two years and they had a fantastic 50% off in their flash sale so it was an offer too good to pass up!

However, this presented me with the dilemma of what 24 clever, little, two year old friendly things to put inside. It has required a whole new type of creativity that I hadn’t appreciated until I was sat thinking about it. So having done the hard work of coming up with things that were both small enough and interesting enough, I thought Id share them!

Advent Calendar Surprises

19. Stickers
  20. Accesorize Hair Clip
  21. Lindt Chocolate Reindeer Ball
  22. Accessorize Hair Band
  23. Stickers
  24. Paperchase Mini Snowglobe

Hopefully the little lady will love discovering these little treats in the run up to Christmas. I cant wait to see her face as she opens a little red door each day!

Have you got your little one a chocolate or wooden advent calendar this year? If you’ve got a wooden one, I’d love to hear what you’re putting in your one this Christmas!

My Petit Canard
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

1. Christine
    November 30, 2015 / 6:16 am

Lovely gift ideas

November 30, 2015 / 8:48 am

Thanks!

2. Tracey Abrahams
    November 30, 2015 / 7:12 am

This year I have seen in Smiths loads of picture advent calenders like I use to have when Ibwas a child. I think they are far nicer than the chocolate ones and even though im grown up, i may well buy myself one today. #MarvMondays
    Tracey Abrahams recently posted…How To Deal With Facebook Hoaxes?My Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:45 am

That sounds like a great idea, why not! I’ve noticed a few of these on the high street over the last year or two, there are some lovely ones out there 🙂

3. November 30, 2015 / 7:53 am

I love this! We have a fabric one that was hubby’s, which baby H might get. I live your ideas of hair clips and bands… Nice and small but VERY useful 🙂 #kcacols
    New Mummy Blog recently posted…#TheBabyFormula – Week 4My Profile

November 30, 2015 / 8:48 am

Thanks, I tried to think of things that would either be interesting or useful! Think this is a good mix of both 🙂

4. November 30, 2015 / 8:25 am

I am off out shopping for last minute advent things so this is so handy!!! #marvmondays
    katy recently posted…Me & Mine – NovemberMy Profile

November 30, 2015 / 8:47 am

I’m so pleased! Hopefully it gives you a few ideas. Good luck with the shop 🙂

5. November 30, 2015 / 8:49 am

ooo I always struggle on different things – haha if it were up to me he’d probably get a paperclip per day haha love the mini snowglobes #MarvMondays
    Charlotte recently posted…Weight Loss Food HacksMy Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:43 am

He he! I found it really hard too. Im not the most creative bean, but glad I finally got there. The mini snow globes are definitely a favourite, they are super cute 🙂

6. November 30, 2015 / 9:08 am

I love the idea of this calendar just don’t know if I would ever be organised enough to get all the little goodies together! Thanks for hosting #marvmondays lovely x
    Talya recently posted…To RT or not to RT…that is the questionMy Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:49 am

I must admit, it does take a little organising. But no more than a couple of days to think of ideas and then run around buying/ordering them in time. But it really wasnt too stressful or time consuming so I’d definitely recommend considering one for next year 🙂

7. November 30, 2015 / 9:34 am

Agggghhh it’s so nearly December, better get my skates on! Your gifts look real cute. #marvmondays
    Sarah recently posted…Our Pebble FamilyMy Profile

8. November 30, 2015 / 9:34 am

Sarah recently posted…Our Pebble FamilyMy Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:38 am

Thanks! Hope you managed to get all your bits organised for your two in time, and if you didnt, dont worry – they are still so young that they probably wont know the difference ;-).

December 5, 2015 / 12:37 am

Thanks Jess, hopefully they help anyone else out there that needed a bit of inspiration this christmas. I know I was definitely lacking some when I first sat down and thought about it!

9. November 30, 2015 / 10:26 am

i adore this idea and I especially adore the wooden calendar and all the little bits you have bought for it. i might have to try this next year since it’ll all begin tomorrow hehe. we actually bought a wow advent thing last year that we put away and forgot to get out but I think it was for the best as I think he’ll appreciate it far more this year! luckily I remembered it was in the loft while we were getting the tree out yesterday! hope your calendar goes down a treat! Thanks for hosting #marvellousmondays
    lisa (mummascribbles recently posted…Mummascribbles meets…Taught over TeaMy Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:41 am

Thanks Lisa! Not sure if I’ve heard of a Wow Advent calendar before – im going to have to look this up, it sounds very interesting. It sounds like youre all very organised and ready for christmas in your house :-). Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays, so lovely to have you join us!

10. November 30, 2015 / 11:51 am

this is gorgeous, we have something similar but not with drawers it’s fabric and could probably only fit sweets in it. isn’t it a great idea! Thanks for hosting #marvmondays
    Helen Gandy recently posted…Glossybox November Review 2015My Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:39 am

Thanks Helen! Your advent calendar sounds lovely too, I dont think I’ve ever seen a fabric one before 🙂

11. Jayne @ sticky mud and Belly laughs
    November 30, 2015 / 11:57 am

Great idea.
    I love the mini snow globes 🙂 x #MarvMondays

December 5, 2015 / 12:33 am

Thanks, they are very sweet snow globes and the perfect size for little hands 🙂

12. November 30, 2015 / 12:07 pm

Such cute ideas! I think I’m definitely going to do a little gift advent once Marianna is old enough to understand what’s going on! 🙂 #MarvMondays
    Jessica Powell recently posted…Organ DonationMy Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:34 am

Its so exciting as they get older, all the avenues it opens up for new experiences and traditions! Its definitely a magical time of the year 🙂

13. November 30, 2015 / 12:35 pm

Lovely calendar – I definitely want to get something like this for next year. We are a bit wary of little gifts still as our toddler is only 15 months and still likes to eat everything, so we aren’t doing a calendar for him this year #Marvmondays

December 5, 2015 / 12:36 am

Thanks Lucy! I definitely recommend the GLTC one, its lovely and so well made. We only started the advent calendar for our little one this year for the first time and she is 2.5 which feels just about right. Next Christmas will be even better for this kind of thing I imagine. However, theres still lots you can enjoy this year with your little one, he is probably around the right age to start opening/showing an interest in opening presents so that will be lots of fun. Enjoy it! 🙂

14. November 30, 2015 / 4:32 pm

these are lovely ideas! i really like that they aren’t all chocolate based too. as for the little snow globes – just perfect and so cute! dawn x #marvmondays
    Rhyming with wine recently posted…Popping in to work for a rest…My Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:32 am

Thanks, I completely agree. Its nice to know that she wont have chocolate for 24 days straight and that we can mix it up a bit. That said, im sure she’ll end up catching up on her chocolate consumption over christmas in some way, shape or form! The snow globes are very cute, I cant wait to line these up somewhere in her room onces shes discovered them all 🙂

December 5, 2015 / 12:30 am

Ha, ha! Not to worry, I dont offend easily ;-). Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately it doesnt completly rule out chocolate, such is the little ladys love for it that I’ve had to include it in a few of the advent doors. That said, its not 24 full days of chocolate so thats definitely better for her 🙂

15. November 30, 2015 / 5:07 pm

This is such a fab idea for an advent calender. I was a little too late to start one this year so I have just got them the normal chocolate advent calenders! I am sure your little girl will love it.
    xx
    Beth recently posted…My Christmas WishlistMy Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:28 am

Thanks! Still love the chocolate ones too, sure your little one will be just as happy 🙂

December 5, 2015 / 12:26 am

Oh dear! Sure you can run out and get one still, when theyre young they dont even notice 😉

16. November 30, 2015 / 8:05 pm

What a lovely idea! I like the idea of a wooden advent calendar but my boys are well and truly used to the cheap chocolate advent calendars now, I’d never get away with it!
    Morgan Prince recently posted…Time to Attend ClassMy Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:25 am

Its probably not a bad thing to be honest! I always had a chocolate one growing up and loved them. The wooden traditional ones are very new to me, but I love the idea that it becomes a family christmas tradition :-). Saying that though, im sure there may be years as the little lady gets older that she may want/prefer a chocoloate one so we’ll be flexible and see how things go! Thanks again for linking up to #MarvMondays.

17. November 30, 2015 / 8:49 pm

oh this is Sooo sweet 🙂 I absolutley love it! I’m looking forward to the biys being old enough for N advent calendEr – though I’ll need drawers it enough for two pressies! thanks for hosting #MarvMondays
    Sarah recently posted…An Autumn StrollMy Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:23 am

I bet you cant wait! A great excuse to buy two advent calendars I say ;-). Definitely look out for reduced ones in the sales later in December, maybe you can pick some lovely ones up and keep them for the boys in a couple of years. You’ll be digging them back out before you know it!

18. November 30, 2015 / 8:58 pm

wow – all of your own gifts into empty slots – exciting! We have a Nativity advent which is becoming a bit of an heirloom (well that’s the idea anyway). I’m spicing it up this year with hidden chocolates and gifts. Nicky #KCACOLS
    Nicky Kentisbeer recently posted…How Did She Grow?My Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:22 am

A nativity advent sounds fun! I hope the same for our advent calendar, that it becomes a tradition each year. I love that you are spicing it up this year, sounds like a lot of fun 🙂

December 5, 2015 / 12:21 am

Thanks! I love the fact that we can re-use the same advent calendar each year and effectively it starts to become one of our christmas traditions each year 🙂

19. November 30, 2015 / 10:44 pm

I love the mini snow globes, I used to work in paperchase until I had clem and I used to love this time of year. They do awesome christmas stuff. It’s good that you can re-fill it each year with different things, I had planned to do a book advent but life has got in the way and I haven’t got round to it. I might rush into town tomorrow morning and start it.x #marvmondays
    Ky recently posted…Off to HogwartsMy Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:17 am

Hi Ky, I love Paperchase and if I worked there I would totally hand back the pay check to them each month. I have been know in the past to do pretty big Paperchase hauls, especially when they have their sales which are usually amazing! I bet it was so much fun to work there. I’ve seen a couple of people doing book advent calendars this year, it sounds like a great idea. Did you manage to pop into town to pick up some books quickly? Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays 🙂

20. December 1, 2015 / 10:54 am

Aw, how lovely. The boys just have chocolate ones this year but we’re also doing ‘links’, which is something I did as a child. You make a nice Christmassy picture out of card (we went for trees) and then make a paper chain to staple to the bottom of it. You have 24 links in the chain and take one off every night before bed. We also had reusable advent calendars as kids where you took a box out every day and a new one dropped into the opening. One year when my parents were short of money my mum made little bits to go in my dolls house (little food, pot plants, etc.) and little toys for every day. So, I’ll definitely be doing something along those lines but thought I’d wait ’til next year to start. I bet your little girl is going to love all her tiny surprises!

Lady Nym recently posted…Anonymity (Or Lack Thereof)My Profile

December 5, 2015 / 12:14 am

Hi Nym, the links that you are doing sounds like such a lovely idea. So creative, and so much more fun! I really wish I was a much more creative mum. My little one loves doing crafty stuff so im really going to try and make more of an effort. You should write a post on it with pictures for all the other parents like me that cant come up with their own creative ideas :-).

21. December 1, 2015 / 8:35 pm

So cute, how thoughtful. My boy is too little, I think I’ll do what I usually do which is buy one on sale in a couple of weeks and eat all the chocolate at once!

December 1, 2015 / 8:55 pm

Ha, ha, I love that! I would totally do the same 😉

22. Rachel (Lifeofmyfamilyandme.com)
    December 1, 2015 / 10:48 pm

Aww lovely ideas! I hope you and your little lady have a lovely Christmas 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday
    Rachel (Lifeofmyfamilyandme.com) recently posted…Fitness as a beginnerMy Profile

December 3, 2015 / 8:31 pm

Thanks! We’re so looking forward to Christmas and enjoying the countdown 🙂

23. December 3, 2015 / 12:58 pm

What a lovely idea, I bet she will love the gifts when she opens them! My daughter has hijacked my yankee candle advent calendar but I think she would love this idea too! #KCACOLS
    tracey bowden recently posted…Christmas Stocking Fillers from SnapfishMy Profile

December 3, 2015 / 8:35 pm

Thats awesome! We didnt even bother getting an advent calendar for us this year as we figured it would be comandered. Hope you get to enjoy your calendar once your little one gets bored of it (they always do at some point 😉

24. Tammymum
    December 3, 2015 / 9:33 pm

That is such a fab idea I love it. i look forward to my little ones being older so they can enjoy things like that! #marvmondays

December 5, 2015 / 12:11 am

Thanks! Its definitely lots of fun coming up with ideas of what you can fill it with and then seeing their excited little faces each morning when they open a door 🙂

25. December 7, 2015 / 1:00 am

I love this idea Emily! I haven’t done this type of advent calendars before only the ones with chocolate. But I think this is so much fun!! I will definitely start this Xmas tradition next year as not I’m a little late. But I can see Bella’s face every time that she opens the little doors to find out what is the surprise for the day! It is actually very exciting!! Thanks for hosting lovely! 🙂 xx
    #MArvMondays
    P.S. sorry that I’m commenting too late but I think it is better later than never!
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…My Sunday Photo – Choosing our Xmas Tree!!My Profile

December 7, 2015 / 6:15 pm

Its such a lovely idea isn’t it! I do think they have to be a certain age to really appreciate and understand it, but once they are it’s great. Plus I think its a little better for their little teeth to have a mix of chocolate and little gifts! Look out for the sales this year, maybe you can pick one up for the girls next year 🙂