6 Christmas Gift Wrapping Essentials

Christmas gift wrapping items
I love wrapping Christmas presents. It is one of my absolute favourite Christmas activities. I actually set time aside each Christmas to sit down and wrap all of our presents. I put on christmas music, I make a cup of tea and I transform our lounge into a Christmas gift wrapping station for an inordinate amount of time. It’s actually a THING for me. I realise this probably makes me sound a quite sad, but I really do take a ridiculous amount of pleasure in making our Christmas presents look beautiful and spend lots of time looking for the perfect Christmas wrapping paper and trimmings each year.

I’ve come to realise over the years, that there 6 Christmas gift wrapping staples that I need to make my presents picture perfect and Instagram worthy. These are;

1. The perfect wrapping paper. Thick, good quality and preferably with cutting lines marked out on the inside. Marks and Spencer and Sainsbury’s are usually great at hitting the mark on these points and have been my go to stores of choice for the last two years running. There’s nothing I hate more than thin, practically translucent, flimsy wrapping paper. Yes I know, I’m a paper snob. There, I said it.

2. Matching gift tags. The tie on, not sticker kind. Whilst the stick on tags can be quick to apply, they just don’t really have the same effect. For me it has to be tie on gift tags that gracefully hang down from the ribbon.

3. Ribbon, and lots of it as I always run out and end up making two or three trips out to Hobbycraft to restock like I have this Christmas (I always under-estimate how much I will need). I typically go for a red and white grosgrain stitched ribbon, but am equally happy with a red and white candy stripe or festive twine. There are so many lovely ribbon styles out there to choose from and really help to personalise a gift (I think).

4. Beautiful trimmings to finish off the look. This year I’ve given lovely white frosted bells from Sainsbury’s for the adults, and cute but tasteful Paperchase Christmas pegs for the children. I think these little touches show that a little extra thought and effort has gone into wrapping the gifts and are hopefully a nice little surprise for our friends and family opening them.

5. My trusty tape dispenser! I’ve used this Scotch Pop Up Hands Free Tape Dispenser for the last three – four years and I would be lost without it. It makes wrapping a doodle and so much easier when you have little ones around.

6. Finally I have to have a decent pair is scissors that will give me a great, sharp finish on all the ribbon I have to get through. So far this year I’ve been through 25 metres and counting!

Wrapped Christmas Gift - Adults

Wrapped Christmas Gift - Children

After two Christmas gift wrapping sittings so far, I’m three-quarters through this years gifts and rather pleased with the results. I cant wait to drop these gifts off to our friends and family this Christmas!

What are your Christmas gift wrapping rituals? I’d love to hear how you get all your gift wrapping done!

My Petit Canard
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

1. December 21, 2015 / 8:04 am

I love this! I’ve still got to wrap all of my Christmas presents. I’m so behind!
    Liane recently posted…Two Front Teeth.My Profile

December 29, 2015 / 3:44 pm

Oh dear, hope you managed to get them all done in time! 🙂

2. December 21, 2015 / 8:07 am

i actually wanted to stroke the screen a bit when i saw how beautiful your gifts look. (sorry – I have stationery issues). i just love this kind of thing and i am particularly envious of the little pegs. so cute! Unfortunately my good intentions tend to wear off after the first 100 or so gifts :-/ We buy for 48 people. there is just not enough ribbon in the world! but I do try my best as I think.it shows that you’ve put that extra bit of effort and thought into it. *runs to shop for little peg thingys*

merry Christmas lovely and thank you for hosting. see you next year! ;0)

dawn x
    Rhyming with wine recently posted…Merry Christmas xMy Profile

December 29, 2015 / 3:47 pm

Oh wow! I cant imagine wrapping presents for 48 people, that is a lot of presents (stating the obvious!). I totally have a stationery thing too, especially when it comes to Christmas and birthdays. I just love the attention to detail with all the little things you can get to garnish gifts these days. I often find myself buying little bits and pieces with no idea what to use them for, but they always seem to come in handy at some point. Sure you find the same thing, you can never have enough stationery right?!

3. Kelly Robinson
    December 21, 2015 / 8:55 am

I need to hire you. I detest wrapping presents. Spent all of last night doing it and still have many to go. Must admit if I used everything you mention I would probably enjoy it more due to the beautiful finish. Lovely post #MarvMondays

4. helen
    December 21, 2015 / 9:15 am

Oh hello fellow enjoy christmas wrapping wrapper – i absolutely love it too! yours look beautiful. I went for navy paper from paperchase, white organza wired ribbon and white glitter tags this year – i love to give a gift that is beautifully wrapped and pleased to learn that i’m not the only one!! Lovely blog x

December 21, 2015 / 4:03 pm

Oooh that sounds beautiful! Loving that I’m meeting a few fellow Christmas wrapping lovers through this post 🙂

5. Sara at Handy Herbs
    December 21, 2015 / 10:12 am

I am so similar to you in that I love wrapping the presents! I love sitting in the living room with the Christmas lights on and the spice candles spending ages on each one. I find it very therapeutic and it makes me feel very festive 🙂 Happy Christmas to you and a Happy New Year! #MarvellousMondays
    Sara at Handy Herbs recently posted…Children Cooking at ChristmasMy Profile

December 21, 2015 / 4:00 pm

Aww a woman after my own heart! It’s totally an experience isn’t it :-). Glad to find someone else that enjoys it as much as I do! Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays

6. mummyofboygirltwins
    December 21, 2015 / 10:12 am

Such beautifully wrapped presents! they look amazing and I too still have a few to go – here’s hoping I get it all done asap!

mummyofboygirltwins recently posted…Sunday Stars linkyMy Profile

December 21, 2015 / 3:59 pm

Thank you! I’m sure it will all get done, somehow, someway we always find time 🙂

7. Moipone Islam
    December 21, 2015 / 12:42 pm

My presents they are on the way to your house, that is some serious gift wrapping I dont have the patient #MarvMondays

December 21, 2015 / 3:58 pm

Ha ha! More than happy to help ;-). Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays again.

December 21, 2015 / 3:57 pm

Thanks. It was the same for me when my little lady was much younger. More a case of wrapping whenever I could find some free time! So it’s a pleasure to be able to spend this amount of time and effort again 🙂

8. December 21, 2015 / 1:21 pm

I’d love to say my presents all look like that, I’ve spent all morning wrapping for the Santa Train and they are somewhat shy of this, thank goodness for Christmas lighting in our Grotto! #MarvMondays

December 21, 2015 / 3:56 pm

Ha ha, bless good lighting! It’s probably a bit of a challenge to do this type of wrapping on scale, I think even I might be challenged! 😉

9. December 21, 2015 / 3:10 pm

They look fantastic! I agree with you on decent paper and scissors. Weirdly my favourite place for wrapping paper is currently Prinark!! It’s cheap enough to be able to purchase a lot of it and not have to scrimp, but still a decent quality (although it doesn’t have cutting lines, admittedly). Wou love to see what trimmings you’ve used in previous years, too. Thanks for hosting #Marvmondays & merry Christmas! 🙂
    Mrs Lighty recently posted…Moustaches and Fairy Wings: Asking the GodparentsMy Profile

December 21, 2015 / 3:55 pm

Oooh, I haven’t tried Primark wrapping paper before. As long as the quality and prints are good then I’m up for trying it! My sister just bought some lovely Kate spade-esque looking paper from a pound store of all places! Will have to have a bit of a think on what trimmings I’ve used previously, but anything bell or peg like is generally a winner in my book :-). Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays!

10. December 21, 2015 / 4:12 pm

I love those label pegs they are so cute! I have to admit I don’t put as much effort in the extra bits that I should! Thanks for hosting #MarvMondays and have a great Christmas!
    Charlotte recently posted…Help With Vet Bill AffordabilityMy Profile

December 21, 2015 / 9:59 pm

Thanks! Paperchase do a great range of lots of different types of pegs, and theyre so easy to use. Maybe one for next Christmas 😉

11. December 21, 2015 / 4:36 pm

Great tips! I got all of the presents out last week, lay them all out, dedicated a full hour to wrapping…..and then realised that I had forgotten the bloody cellotape!!! My trip to Asda and back ate into 40 minutes of my hour and my “productive afternoon” resulted in a total sum of five wrapped presents. Only another ten thousand to go!!! Thanks for hosting! #marvmondays
    laura dove recently posted…The sixth little dove…My Profile

December 21, 2015 / 10:03 pm

Oh no! Total wrapping disaster. I had a similar issue last week when I did the same thing and realised I couldnt find my tape dispenser refills. I spend probably about the same amount of time looking for them before I found them and ended up wrapping a similar number of presents – not quite how I’d planned for it to go! Its taken me another 3 sittings to finally finish all the gifts, just in time for Christmas lol.

12. December 21, 2015 / 5:08 pm

I always wrap my gifts in brown paper and bakers twine!! We’ve been doing it for years and years now, so people always know which one’s come from us!! I’ve always designed my own tags but rarely use trimmings though — this is something I should definitely get into!! I LOVE the little bells you’ve used — absolutely gorgeous 🙂 #MarvMondays
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…Colour Your World | #16 Pantone® Lavender HerbMy Profile

December 21, 2015 / 10:04 pm

How lovely, I totally love that classic wrapping look. Love the thought of creating my own tags, how clever! So much more personalised :-). Might have to have a think about how I can get a bit more creative next year!

13. December 21, 2015 / 6:26 pm

Wow, you put a lot more effort in than me! I’d love to do something as intricate as this but it’s just a bit much time and money so I bulk buy a lot of bright rolls of Christmas paper and everything gets wrapped in those.

Lady Nym recently posted…An ASD ChristmasMy Profile

December 21, 2015 / 10:01 pm

Thanks. It is quite a big investment in time, and it does end up getting a bit pricey I have to admit. I try not to add up how much I spend on gift wrapping in total as I’d probably stop doing it if I did!

14. December 21, 2015 / 10:07 pm

these are beautifully wrapped. Mine are normally wrapped in a hurry but I like the idea of making it into part of the enjoyment of Christmas (not just a job to do). #MarvMondays
    Kate recently posted…Meal 19 – Chocolate snowballsMy Profile

December 29, 2015 / 3:35 pm

Thank you, it definitely takes time but its totally worth it (I think ;-)) Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays

15. December 21, 2015 / 10:09 pm

I love wrapping too! they look so pretty, all matching and cute under the tree!! Im with you on the absolute need for thick, quality paper! So much more pleasurable to wrap! Now I just need to start! Thanks for hosting this lovely linky 🙂 #marvmondays
    Sarah recently posted…Christmas – The Baby EditMy Profile

December 29, 2015 / 3:36 pm

Thank you, I just love the whole experience – from wrapping them, to putting them under the tree. Quality paper is definitely a must :-). Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays again!

16. December 22, 2015 / 3:33 pm

Do you do house calls?! My presents never look like that!

December 29, 2015 / 3:37 pm

Ha, ha! If only I had the time 😉

17. Mum in Brum
    December 22, 2015 / 8:11 pm

Your presents look so cute and make me feel ashamed of my wrapping that I rushed this year! usually I make a ‘thing of it’, but this year I seem to have run out of time and find myself haphazardly throwing paper around gifts before I see said person it’s for (remembering that it will be the last time I see them before Christmas day!) I always play christmas music though and make a cup of tea! #MarvMondays x
    Mum in Brum recently posted…#MySundayPhotoMy Profile

December 29, 2015 / 3:41 pm

Oh its so hard isnt it! Its definitely taken me much longer this year than it has previously, because it is so much harder to find the time to do it with a little one around. Its such a luxury and there have been some years in the past when I just havent been able to do it. At least you had the christmas music and tea when you are wrapping, that alone makes a difference 🙂

18. December 23, 2015 / 5:57 pm

Those presents look gorgeous! I love wrapping too, though I tend to scour the net for vintage (well, 1970s) looking paper as that’s just what says Christmas to me. 🙂
    Jessica Powell recently posted…Picturegoer, October 17th 1953My Profile

December 29, 2015 / 3:43 pm

Oh I love the sound of Vintage wrapping paper! I bet your presents stand out a mile away. I bet your friends and family love receiving gifts from you 🙂

December 29, 2015 / 3:42 pm

Oh dear, I’ve definitely been there. With a little one around sometimes its a case of just getting things wrapped!

19. December 30, 2015 / 7:00 pm

I could’ve done with reading this before Christmas – my wrapping skills are famously terrible! #KCACOLS
    The Speed Bump recently posted…ONE ResolutionMy Profile

20. January 4, 2016 / 11:53 am

This looks gorgeous!! I love it!! I’m not that good when it comes for wrapping but I love how it looks so I should give it a go next year or for the next birthday. You put so much love into it!! Thanks for hosting #marmondays!! 🙂 xx
    A Moment With Franca recently posted…My UK Travel Bucket List for 2016My Profile

January 11, 2016 / 10:49 pm

A very late reply to your comment, but thank you. I have a very strange obsession with wrapping Christmas presents!

21. January 4, 2016 / 12:31 pm

I know I have just commented but this time I wanted to say thank you so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. As you know I have taken a little break from blogging but #KCACOLS will be back next Saturday 9th January so I would love to see you again!! Happy New Year lovely!! 🙂 xx
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…My UK Travel Bucket List for 2016My Profile