I remember during my first pregnancy getting to the last two weeks and trying everything to get the baby to come early. You name it, I tried it and yet she still decided to come four days late. On reflection it was hardly surprising. Around only 5% of babies arrive on their due date and pretty much everyone that I know has had a late first baby. So having learnt from my first experience, I promised myself that this time round I will just let baby come when they are good are ready. Easy breezy. Just go with the flow. Let the baby come when they are ready. Cool as a cucumber..
But there is something about the last few weeks of pregnancy that make you all of a sudden want to hurry the little ones along. After 37 long weeks of growing a baby, the last two weeks turn into an obsession about when they will arrive. A little voice in the back of my mind keeps reminding me that the poor little thing still technically has a week before he is actually due and to just let him be. But still I cant help but wonder on a daily basis when he will arrive. Every night I go to bed wondering if tonight will be the night my waters break, and every morning I wake up disappointed to find that I am still very much pregnant.
So despite my best efforts, here are 8 things I have started doing, or thinking about doing in the last two weeks of pregnancy that I said I wouldn’t do the second time round!
1. Secretly obsess about when baby will arrive, being optimistic for an early arrival despite my first baby being fashionably late.
2. Look for my plug every time I go to the toilet, expecting it to mysteriously and suddenly appear
3. Bounce on the birthing ball like it was going out of fashion
4. Take a rather convenient take a liking to spicy food.
5. Develop a sudden fancy for pineapple when I really wasnt that keen on it before. Our fridge has seen a lot of pineapple chunks and pineapple juice action in the last few months!
6. Start to walk everywhere rather than take the car. A 60 minute trip on the bus and tram to Wimbledon with toddler in tow rather than driving there in our comfortable air-conditioned car in 45 minutes would have been a ridiculous notion 10 months ago.
7. Ramp up the night time rendezvous with the Mr even though I spent the last few weeks/months complaining how big, uncomfortable, tired (delete as appropriate) I have been to rendezvous.
8. Seriously consider buying raspberry leaf tea even though I know it didn’t do diddly squat the first time round!
So despite having the benefit of hindsight, it seems that I just cant help but secretly obsess about baby number twos due date. Please tell me I’m not alone here! What things did you do second time round that you said you wouldn’t do, or did you find that they actually worked the second time round?